In the eight-candidate District 145 race to succeed Carol Alvarado, who was elected in December to the Texas Senate, less than 700 people voted in person on the first week of early voting. District 145 has approximately 73,000 registered voters.
Early voting continues through Friday, January 25. Election Day is Tuesday, January 29.
The Harris County Clerk’s Office hosts an interactive map for the polling locations and timings for Early Voting here.
Candidates in the race include one Republican – Martha Fierro, six Democrats – Melissa Noriega, Christina Morales, Oscar Del Toro, Elias De La Garza, Ruben Gonsalez, Alfred Moreno, and one Libertarian – Clayton Hunt.
(From left to right, top to bottom: Elias De La Garza, Oscar Del Toro, Christina Morales, Melissa Noriega, Alfred Moreno, Ruben Gonsalez, Martha Fierro, Clayton Hunt)
Here are links to the candidates’ campaign websites:
- Martha Fierro, the lone Republican candidate in the recent Senate District 6 special election.
- Melissa Noriega, former Houston City Council Member and former House District 145 representative.
- Christina Morales, small business owner.
- Oscar Del Toro, a former candidate for Pasadena City Council.
- Elias De La Garza, a former Democratic primary candidate in 2008 for this seat.
- Ruben Gonsalez
- Alfred Moreno
- Clayton Hunt, a Libertarian candidate in the 2018 November General Election for this seat.
Reform Austin will continue to follow the special elections and report the results. If no candidate earns 50 percent or more on Election Day in any of the three districts, a runoff will be held several weeks later.