Texas Education Commissioner Mike Morath has approved eight new open enrollment charter schools to begin operation in the 2020-21 school year. The eight are:
- Brillante Academy (McAllen);
- CLEAR Public Charter School (San Marcos);
- Doral Academy of Texas (Buda);
- Heritage Classical Academy (Houston);
- Learn4Life-Austin (Austin);
- Prelude Preparatory Charter School (San Antonio);
- Rocketship Public Schools (Fort Worth); and
- Royal Public Schools (San Antonio).
The State Board of Education has 90 days to veto Morath’s action.
The Texas Public Charter School Program has been in existence since 1995. Since then, nearly 800 charter schools have been approved by the state.
Charter schools are public schools operated independently of public school systems, either by nonprofit or for-profit organizations. They cannot charge tuition or impose special entrance requirements, and they do receive per-pupil funding from the state and local school districts.