School is back in session in Texas and many parents are concerned about the safety of their children. State Representative Craig Goldman (R-Fort Worth) touts his commitment to students and teachers, but his record in the Texas Legislature says otherwise.
Despite the horrific shooting a few months ago at Santa Fe High School, near Houston, that left 10 dead, politicians have done a lot of talking, but little to protect our kids, teachers and schools. Governor Greg Abbott has held roundtables and a Senate school safety committee recently released a report according to the Texas Tribune, but that’s about it.
Craig Goldman has consistently supported legislation that makes our students and schools less safe, including:
- Goldman voted for SB 11, which authorized concealed carry of firearms on college campuses.
- Goldman voted for open carry of handguns, by voting in favor of HB 910.
- Goldman voted for SB 864 which reduces the required hours for concealed firearms license training.
- Goldman voted in favor of HB 1076, which prohibits the enforcement of federal firearm regulations.
- Goldman even voted against common-sense seat belt legislation to ensure the safe transportation of Texas school children to and from school.
The pattern after school shootings in America is upsettingly clear and consistent. Politicians offer thoughts and prayers, and pledge that they will do whatever they can to ensure that this will “never happen again,” but public focus on the incident inevitably fades, and nothing changes. Craig Goldman has proven to be just another enabler of the status quo.